Wood pellet is famous for its use mostly for outdoor cooking; it has always been classic, tried, and a reliable fuel source for a very long time now. It produces good smoke and gives the meat great outstanding flavor. The logs have always been the most used fuel method for smoking and grilling before innovation came through, and the wood can be gotten in different sizes, shapes and be used in various ways.
They are made from a combination of wood and sawdust, well compressed and pressurized and put together with the use of wood lignin and other natural elements for binding. Then made into long rods like pencil shape that is broken into small pieces, most times the wood pellet is about a half-inch long.
Unlike others that think wood pellet can only be used with a pellet smoker, which is not right at all, most people often make reference to the first time they learned how to smoke meat on a basic gas grill which can also be used to smoke other foods like chicken, ribs, turkey, etc. which fits for essential functions and good results.
It is definitely easy to smoke meat on a gas grill, but when you have plans to prepare lots of barbeques, it is better to use a smoker instead.
Although they are not just designed to smoke meat. However, if all you have is a gas grill, don’t think that delicious barbecue is out of reach. Follow the steps in this article, and you’ll be impressing family and friends in no time.
The benefits of using a wood pellet on a gas grill is that gives a peculiar, unique flavor to the smoked meat, well there are different types of pellet flavor that you can add while grilling to achieve a variety of taste anytime you want to smoke, or grill.
The most used wood pellet are cherry, apple, mesquite, and hickory. They are easier to clean up after use, unlike charcoal or hardwood chunks which leave behind an ash residue. Another thing is that they do not need to be soaked before you can use them.
How To Use Wood Pellets On A Gas Grill
1. Pan technique:
For this method, aluminum foil and any metal pan will be required; first, you’ll have to fill the pan up with 1/3 quantity of wood pellet; cover it with foil, and poke holes on the surface at the top. They set the grill to start heating up, and just a burner is enough. Every other burner can be shut off and make sure the internal heat temperature should be around 225-250 degrees, then place the pan at the other side than the food opposite; to achieve a well-prepared BBQ, it is best to use direct smoke and heat.
2. Foil pouch technique:
This method is superior and used when you are in a tight spot, and you don’t have a smoking box or a pan. You can use aluminum foil with a handful of wood pellet in the center, carefully crimp the edges and poke little holes through it; then, similar to the previous technique, put the pouch on the grill over the flame for it to burn out till there’s white smoke popping out. At the same time, place your BBQ on the other side with the lids covered. You can then decide to add more wood pellet or keep the wood pellet in a new foil pouch to protect the wood pellet ash from falling out.
3. Smoker box technique:
For this method, you have to preheat the grill for about 10-15 minutes, close the lids so they heat up well as high as possible. This will make it effortlessly catchy for the wood pellet once they are put in it, prepare or create a wood pellet smoker box with the puncture hole in it to allow it to smoke out. It can also be used for electric smokers by putting the wood pellet at the bottom of the wood chips tray.
Although between a wood pellet and a wood chip which is better? I’d definitely pick the wood pellet; of course, they both have their own advantages because it lasts longer while using it to smoke, unlike the wood chips that burn out faster, and also it burns out well at a steady level making it easy to be able to control the heat temperature.
Advantages Of Using Wood Pellet On A Gas Grill
- It is fast, saves time, and it is makes cooking stress-free and effortless. The wood pellet helps the grill cook even more quickly than usual because it allows the smoker to preheat on time.
- Regulate suitable heat temperature and help with options on how to monitor your food properly when smoking; it helps retain the wood flavor for the meat.
- The wood pellet can be used for multipurpose cooking, and it can be used to prepare different types of delicious meals like braised ribs, chicken wings, etc.
- It spread even heat temperature across the smoker for the food, so it can achieve a great result.
How To Maintain And Care For Your Grill
- The starting foundation has to be done well because it matters a lot. Place a grill pad or splatter mat beneath the grill so you don’t have an excessive grill and smoke ash mess up the cooking space.
- The grill should always be set up in an open space, well ventilated, and at least 10 – 15 feet from the house, away from overhead dry trees or leaves and combustible surfaces.
- Please do not attempt to clean the grill immediately after use; allow it to cool down from the heat temperature before cleaning.
- Always remember to clear the ash and excess grease from the tray after cooking because ash can absolve moisture and cause rust to the grill.
- Always make sure it is clean inside and out at all times because that way, it helps prepare healthy meals, do not use harsh or scouring chemicals to clean the grill. It might cause damage to the surface of the grill.
In summary, let you know more about the wood pellet and gas grill, their benefits, and how to care, and maintain your grill for a long-lasting life span thought falling apart or rusting away.