Handling food hygienically and adequately when preparing it is very important to protect the body from getting the foodborne illness, also known as food poisoning. For someone who has gone through food poisoning, the infection will let you know that spending most of your bedtime at night in the toilet is not a great adventure anyone will willingly want to get involved in because it is a bad experience.
However, food poisoning or foodborne illness is not hundred percent possible to avoid totally. Still, with adapting good and quality hygiene, excellent knowledge, and exposure, you can reduce the risk of getting it.
The fundamental causes of foodborne illness are caused when the food and drink you digest in your body system are contaminated with either toxic substances or different types of harmful germs. Well, the truth is some are at more risk of getting the illness compared to others. So, we need to be very careful with the type of food we buy and eat.
How To Prevent Foodborne Illness
- Most cross contaminations happen when drinking or eating during the process of cooking. The hands get to touch the mouth area while chewing, and the hands touch the lips of the glass where the hands touched the mouth and back to the food again; this alone can allow any existing germ or foodborne illness to get passed around.
- Place your frozen raw beef and poultry inside the drip tray on the lowest shelf space to defrost because it is also unsafe to keep food on top of other foods in the fridge. In addition, it will not allow the dripping of blood and other drips to tamper with the food preserved.
- Also, get different cutting boards for your stocks, beef, and other food that needs to be cut, instead of just cutting boards that can expose the food from contacting different food bacteria. Finally, always remember to wash the cutting board very well after use and before storing.
- You cannot emphasize the preach and talk of how strong washing hands are enough. Always wash your hands before your start preparing your food, during the process, and after cooking. Also, please wash your hands after using them to cover your mouth while coughing, sneezing, after using the bathroom, drinking, eating, or smoking, etc.; always remember to wash your hands at all times.
The causes of foodborne illness are majorly caused by contaminations that get in your food to cause pathogens. And the symptoms of the disease can include nausea, mild to severe, stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, aching body and muscles, loss of appetite, chills, and weakness in the body. Some severe foodborne illness might even lead to hospitalization or death if it isn’t treated with all seriousness.
Some of the important cause of foodborne illness are:
Virus and bacteria: when this multiplies and spreads in the body, it can cause weakness and sickness to the body parts. It has microbes that can multiply to the stage that the symptoms indicated will take a more extended period of days to disappear and for the body to come back in form.
Harmful parasites: depending on the type of parasite, the symptoms might hide in the individual’s body and not make them see changes in their body on time or allow them to feel that they’ve been infected.
Toxins exist from living organisms like fungi or bacteria. They cause illness in the body, and the symptoms can activate within hours of taking in contaminated food.
Top 5 Benefits of Healthy Eating
1. Healthy Weight
One of the most important reasons people should have a healthy diet is to help maintain their healthy weight gain or loss. One with a healthy weight has a plethora that has its advantages and benefit.
2. Health Heart:
A lot of people do not even bother about things they take into their bodies. I want you to know that even if you are young and feel healthy, you should give special care to your heart. Imbibing healthy eating can help keep you and protect you from having heart diseases and make it even more beneficial.
3. Healthy Strong Bones And Teeth
Healthy eating habits allow individuals to maintain and keep their strong and healthy bones and teeth for a very long time and prevent tooth decaying or osteoporosis.
4. Well-Improved Mood And Energy Levels
Continuous intake of a balanced healthy diet allows the body to feel more energized, and the nutrient allows it functions appropriately and charges it good improved energy levels. However, it is favorable to stay away from sugary drinks and food to protect the body from crashes and highs from sugar.
5. Well-Improved Brain And Memory Health
Having healthy meals regularly helps the brain too. It protects it from diseases like dementia, cognitive decline, and Alzheimer’s. Another advantage is that it increases blood flow to the brain, increasing its activity and sharpening its memory more than it was. Always pay attention to the body and try to give it what it needs precisely. Although, be constantly mindful of what you eat every time, remember “you are what you eat.’
Next Read: How To Sweeten Coffee Without Sugar
Best Way To Treat Foodborne Illness
The best way to get the body treated for foodborne or poisoning is to get a lot of fluids to prevent the body from dehydrating from severe diarrhea, have a lot of rest. Take at least a cup of water constantly to rehydrate the body whenever you get so pressed and have stomach upset. Avoid consuming fruit juices of any kind and soda that has too much sugar concentration to rehydrate.
However, antibiotics are not the ideal prescription to treat illness from foodborne, but it is advisable to use drugs that can stop diarrhea and be very effective but should not be used on young children and infants. Also, drugs that would stop diarrhea should not be taken when there are other symptoms of high fever or if there appears to be blood in the waste because it can escalate the illness and make it even worse than it was. If after this you still get seriously dehydrated, then get yourself to the hospital on time.