For many people, family gathering at the dining table to have a meal together has almost become a memorial thing in their lives, due to different overscheduled engagements like work, school, etc., which has now made it even way challenging to meet up even if such gatherings happen.
At times days, weeks, months can go by, and everyone keeps going about their business, forgetting that such activity even exists. A meal together as a family, whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner, should be like a compulsory family tradition to do at this once each day because it helps the family with a stronger bond, connectivity, and share conversations. However, the family does not even necessarily have to be totally complete before this can take place.
Although some researchers have found that families who gather to share a meal regularly gain many benefits and positive energy from it, there is a famous saying that people often say, which goes, “A family that eats together, stays together.”
The type of situations that makes family meal together most time impossible are;
- Long work hours and heavy responsibilities make it challenging to meet up with such engagements because, in times like this, all the body needs after such a work-filled day is rest.
Those still juggling different school subjects and activities, getting home, all they crave for is an edible plate of food, or better still get a takeaway meal already because they often feel so hungry and tired, so they need a fast meal at that moment.
Another thing is competing family mealtime with other activities that people often engage themselves with like playing games with friends, Netflix, chill, checking social media, or watching tv, which totally diverts their attention. It almost feels as if they are not even present in the house even when they are, instead of spending much time eating and enjoying family conversation, which seems less critical since technology took over.
Family gatherings for meals should not just be all about the food. It can also be the moment for conversation, sharing of thoughts and positive energy, celebrating winnings and other aspects of one another’s life, which is what family mealtime should be about.
But if in a situation where they are too much criticizing, faults and controlling conversations are just the topic shared them some will get their selves distracted with games, or social media would then make the benefit of the gathering not evident but instead limited because of the channel of negativity instead of positive.
Benefits From Eating Family Meals Together
- It encourages togetherness; family mealtime helps the members maintain an existing and new relationship making them feel a sense of belonging, children feel even more secure, loved, and safe. This set a ground for them to learn and experience family values and traditions in a lifetime.
- Self-esteem and acceptance; children and other members of the family feel accepted by their family and do not need any validation from an outsider, and it helps build strong self-esteem individually and kicks out depression when you can just easily relate the issues of your regular activities with your family over a meal.
- Kids listening to adults talk about work activities, challenges, and celebrate achievements give them exposure to what the reality is, help them read well, give them confidence, and speak up anywhere with their ideas. Also, parents get more involved with their kid’s school and personal activities.
- Having access to each other’s life helps one put in check the nutrient of food your family consumes on a regular and balance it and give them tips on how to do it on their own and even how to cook.
- Family cooking helps save money and time.
Importance Of Family Mealtimes
- A family who dines together tends to try different types of food and become less picky with food, especially the kids.
- It creates an avenue for them to come together as a family, strengthen their bond, and repair or build a better relationship that would help with a great sense of belonging, which helps with great self-esteem.
- It creates the opportunity for parents to be a better role model to their children and other family members that look up to them and set an example for eating politely, table etiquette, and healthy eating.
- According to some researchers, people tend to eat less during family mealtime because they tend to be slower due to different conversations. It is good for the health because it prevents obesity.
- Also, they say children are less exposed to high-risk behavior when they keep having family mealtime, behaviors such as psychological issues, low self-esteem, and have violent traits.
It is not news that most things usually have their own pros and cons, which family mealtime is not exempted. Yes, it sure does have lots of benefits to the family, even the children in particular, but it also has its disadvantages.
While dining and having family time, it seems overly controlled by the older ones because you get denied receiving or making calls; conversations on the table might not be favorable to you. You can’t leave because that would be ruled as a rude gesture, some miss out on the favorite reality show or program, and most especially you have to be in the gathering even when you would love to be by your own self. Also, it is impossible to meet up with your friends at that moment or get involved in other activities.
In conclusion, we all agree that eating at home together with the family is excellent and beneficial. If you cannot meet up with such moments for any reason, you must pick a good place where you can have access to healthy meals.
Also, it is good to watch what you feed your body, choose the right food for the occasion, have body control, and a diet plan. Watch the quantity, quality of what you take in, and be more certain your body would be grateful to you.
Also, family meals are definitely worth making an extra effort, and having them regularly and take them as a family tradition would do good for our daily lives.